Why are some dentures radioactive?

Radsafers,

I tried to send the text below when it arrived a few days ago. For some
unknown reason (probably my fault) it must have failed:

Bjorn Cedervall        bcradsafers@hotmail.com
---------------
   The Learning Kingdom's Cool Fact of the Day for January 19, 2000
                  Why are some dentures radioactive?
Millions of people wear some type of dentures (false teeth).  Some of
them, especially the oldest ones, are made out of porcelain that
includes a trace of uranium, a radioactive element.
The uranium was added to these old-style dentures because it
flouresces (glows in response to certain wavelengths of light),
giving the dentures a bright, white look.  Without it the porcelain
teeth would appear dingy and greenish under artificial light.
A full set of porcelain dentures releases about 1,500 millirems of
radiation in a year, which is about four times the natural background
level.  Other factors that can lead to similar levels of exposure
include living at a high altitude (from cosmic rays) and smoking
(from elements in the smoke).

More about sources of radiation in the human environment:
http://www.em.doe.gov/fs/fs1f.htmlQuestions and answers about dentures:
http://www.ada.org/consumer/faq/bridges.htmlAnother Cool Fact about
dentures:
http://www.cool-fact.com/archive/1999/03/11.html
A Cool Fact about naturally radioactive people:
http://www.cool-fact.com/archive/1999/12/17.html