Re: Why are some dentures radioactive?

The credit to the comment below should go to Kjell Johansen (Milwaukee). I
can only agree. The same consideration can be made about uranium and its
daughter products (like Po-120 and Pb-210) in snuff - but there is more
stuff in snuff...

Question of facts: Is it correct that if you have uranium "containing"
ceramics in your dentures - that you will shine a little in the dark (I have
heard/read this from several different sources over the years)? Could
possibly give some extra appeal in places like discotecques. Such dental
ceramics are not allowed in Sweden with reference to the ALARA principle -
but most of the nasty metals in the periodic table can easily be detected in
cosmetics, lipstick etc (where is the chemical ALARA?) - I heard a Finnish
professor in analytical chemistry give a talk on it long ago: cadmium,
bismuth, lead, mercury, arsenic...

Bjorn Cedervall  bcradsafers@hotmail.com