RE: H2O Microwave Criticality

> I came across the following and had to post it here for everyone to enjoy:
>

> "Subject: Microwaving Water
>
> I received the following from my cousin who works at the CDC in Atlanta.

<snip>

> A non-metal object with sharp
> corners in the bottom of the cup would also be helpful."
>
> (HOW MUCH OF THIS IS TRUE??)

I had this happen to me during a demonstration of the distilling process in
a chemistry class I was teaching. The Erlenmeyer (sp) beaker on the Bunsen
burner just wouldn't boil. When I picked it up the disturbance of the flask
was just enough to set it off. Fortunately everyone was wearing safety
glasses and the only thing hurt was my pride. I'd be really surprised to see
this in a home setting though condidering the particle-free water and
scratch-free glassware required.

Don Mercado
Don.mercado@lmco.com