RE: unreported pre-Tokaimura industrial fatality

> But if you work out the figures per
> passenger JOURNEY rather than per passenger MILE, air transport turns out
> the second most hazardous after the motorcycle.  Car transport per journey
> is far safer than air travel on this basis.  The air travel sector does have
> this ultimate safety image, in contrast to the nuclear industry.  How did
> they manage this?

You're playing statistics games. I don't have your data, but even if
I did, in my opinion, to state that air travel is the second most
hazardous form of travel, behind motorcycles, is a totally
misappropriate accusation. What you are doing, looking for some lower
level denominator to make your point, is exactly the same methodology
that those who object to nuclear energy. I am speaking of those who
are solely out to kill an option, and most often, have no real basis,
so they use statistics. In the end, the statistics are misused.

Accidents per mile is a sound basis. Travel by journey is not
appropriate. If I get in my car and use it to go 1/2 block, 100 times
a day, and another 100,000 people do that .. there are a lot of
journeys, and yes, probably many accidents as well. If one addresses
deaths from air travel, be they per mile or by journey, to say that
the airlines are more dangerous than the automobile, that kills over
50,000 in the USA each year alone, is simply not an accurate or
appropriate statement, and does nothing to advance the ideas of
nuclear safety. A stretch by any means.

Your final question ... How did they manage this? By flying safely
(as best as possible) with minimal deaths. Can they improve,, they
certainly can, but to say that they are unsafe ... no way.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/scperle