Be-7 formation

Be-7 is well known to be produced by the interaction of cosmic rays with
oxygen and nitrogen atoms in our atmosphere.  Recently, I ran across a
task force report by the International Joint Commission for the Great
Lakes which attributes Be-7 in the Great Lakes environment to nuclear
power plants.  I find this too far out to be considered seriously
because its natural production and occurrence have been known for
years.  (The natural formation of Be-7 is discussed in NCRP Report No.
94 and numerous articles on the natural radiation background.)  However,
in support of their conclusions, the authors of the report state that
some nuclear plants in the Great Lakes area have reported Be-7 in their
effluent. The authors go on to link the Be-7 and Be-10 to beryllosis and
lung cancer. I have found two nuclear plants that have reported Be-7 in
either gaseous or liquid effluent. Unfortunately for me, one is mine
before I came on board.  I believe that these reports are in error in
that the people writing the annual effluent reports were ignorant of the
natural production of Be-7 and therefore attributed to the plant.

The Rad Health Handbook (January 1970) gives two possible reactions to
produce Be-7: Li-6(d,n) and B-10(p,alpha).  Does anyone know if these
reactions are possible in a PWR?  If so, what would be the yield?

So, if any of you out there in RADSAFE space know whether the above
reactions can occur in a reactor or why they can't, I would appreciate
the enlightenment. Although there may be Li and B around, I just don't
see where there is going to be a source of high energy protons or
deuterons to make the reaction go forward, let alone produce enough Be-7
to be so evenly spread over thousands of square miles on the Midwest let
alone the world.

I have already done the environmental measurements to show we are not
the source of Be-7 and that it has to be natural.

Kjell Johansen
Wisconsin Electric Power Company
231 W. Michigan
Milwaukee, WI 53201