Re: unreported pre-Tokaimura industrial fatality-Safety Overview

In a message dated 1/25/00 7:22:49 AM Pacific Standard Time,
sandyfl@earthlink.net writes:

<< Can they improve,, they
 certainly can, but to say that they are unsafe ... no way. >>

Back in the mid 1970s, Prof. David Rose of MIT's Nuclear Engineering dept.
wrote a very good brief review and commentary on health and safety risks
titled "Safe - Compared to What?" . I think this article was published in
American Scientist.. I don't have the cite at my fingertips.

 However, this article should be required reading for anyone trying to
discuss risk with peers or the public. Dr. Rose's commentary is quite thought
provoking and on the mark. He makes the case that the title of his paper:
"Safe - Compared to What?"  must be answered in evaluating energy sources or
other societal activities. In terms of power generation, one has to look at
the alternative risks  of other cycles, and also the risk of not having the
energy.

If anyone has the citation handy, it would be worth posting to Radsafe.

Stewart Farber
Public Health Sciences
email: radproject@aol.com