From: Al Tschaeche [mailto:antatnsu@pacbell.net]
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2000 3:08 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: STAR at work

--------------4990B73B761E9393F1E9BDB3

I took the STAR letter and made a few, minor revisions (see below).  Which
pro
nuclear organizations can I get to sign the revised letter and sent it to
New
York Attorney General Spitzer?  Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net

"D. Kosloff" wrote:

> "STAR" is working on a new project now that Brookhaven is shut down.
Please
> see below.

REVISED LETTER (go to Kosloff's message for the original)

> [...]
> and waste management). Companies wanting to save money on clean-up costs
are
> being exempted from regulatory controls and allowed to use contaminated
> materials as if they were not radioactive.
>
> Simply put, the makers of radioactive waste would much rather sell their
> contaminated metal to scrap dealers and specialty steel companies, or to
> other sources for reuse, than to pay to isolate it from the environment
and
> the public for as long as it remains radioactive, in some cases centuries
or
> millenia.
>

> Why is this Safe?
>
> There is a safe level of exposure to ionizing radiation, so it makes sense
> to permit exposures up to that level. Some scientists have shown that
risks
> from routine low doses may actually be beneficial rather than detrimental
as
> in single high dose exposures.
>
> Exposure to ionizing radiation in high doses increases the risks of
cancer,
> leukemia,
> genetic defects, illnesses resulting from reduced immunity and other
> non-cancerous illnesses. Some scientists believe the developing embryo and
> fetus, young children,
> the elderly and those with already impaired health face the greatest risk.
>
> The public could be exposed to radiation from many different contaminated
> consumer products, ie; strollers, braces and toasters, etc. The doses are
> thought by some to add up and to be multiplied when we are exposed to more
> radiation and other
> carcinogens in our lives. Doses below safe levels could be beneficial or,
they
> could have no effect at all.  These involuntary health benefits are being
> imposed
> without notification and against our will, so the nuclear industry can
save
> money.
>
> The role of New York:
>
> The current methods of releasing radioactive wastes from commercial
> licensees and weapons facilities must be supported.  Some radioactive
> wastes in consumer products pose necessary, avoidable, voluntary,
> informed benefits. The consumers, the producers, the raw materials
industries
> want these radioactive wastes to provide benefits. Therefore, we believe
that
> your office should take steps to ensure the recycling of radioactive scrap
> metal and ensure that they end up in commerce.
>
> We commend you for your strong and innovative actions on behalf of our
> health and safety and hope that you will help us in this effort. We would
be
> happy to send representatives to discuss this with you further. Should you
> require further contact please call (appropriate information here).

begin:vcard
n:Tschaeche;Al
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Nuclear Standards Unlimited