Re: STAR at work

Hi Al,

Assume Radiation, Science, and Health, and the Center for Nuclear Technology
and Society at WPI, with the noted minor changes, {deletes} <additions>,
pending review. If you have enough interest to pursue this, we can get the
LLRHE Committee and BMD to agree and recommend ANS concur. Do you specifically
not want any individual signers? I'm forwarding to the pie list with other org
leaders.

Note: The original STAR letter from Don Kosloff is at:
http://romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu/cgi-bin/lwgate/RADSAFE/archives/radsafe0001/Author/article-733.html
[Note: You may have to 'patch' the url in your locator window if it's
'broken.' :-) ]

Regards, Jim
muckerheide@mediaone.net
========================

Al Tschaeche wrote:

> [...]
>

> > January 28, 2000
> >
> > Attorney General Eliot Spitzer
> > Office of the Attorney General
> > 120 Broadway
> > New York, NY
> >
> > Re: Recycled radioactive metals
> >
> > Dear Mr. Spitzer:
> >
> > We the undersigned [x] environmental, health and {community} <professional> organizations are
> > writing to urge you to take a leadership role on a very important health
> > <and cost-containment> issue. Presently, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission is in the process
> > of legalizing the "release" or "clearance" of radioactive materials from
> > licensed, regulated control into raw materials, building supplies and any
> > other items that are sold to New York consumers. We fully support the
> > introduction of radioactive scrap metal into commerce without any
> > consumer notification and urge you to take action to ensure these products can
> > be sold in New York markets.
> >
> > Background:
> >
> > As nuclear power reactors are maintained and decommissioned, contaminated
> > parts, concrete rubble, and soil could be let go. The Department of Energy
> > is currently sending radioactively contaminated metals from nuclear weapons
> > sites to regular scrap yards to mix with clean metal for unrestricted public
> > use. Some states, primarily Tennessee, are licensing and permitting private
> > companies to process and "release" into commerce radioactive materials,
> > including metals, lead and asphalt, usually with no public hearings,
> > notification, or warning <having determined that only trivial exposures, far below natural radioactivity sources, are involved>.
> >
> > These radioactive elements result from every part of the nuclear fuel chain
> > (mining, milling, conversion, enrichment, fuel fabrication, nuclear power
> > production, plutonium and weapons production, reprocessing, decommissioning
> > and waste management). <The government and> Companies wanting to save money on clean-up costs are
> > being exempted from regulatory controls and allowed to use contaminated
> > materials as if they were not radioactive.
> >
> > Simply put, the makers of radioactive waste would much rather <recycle and sell their
> > contaminated metal to scrap dealers and specialty steel companies, or to
> > other sources for reuse, than to <waste money to> pay to isolate it from the environment and
> > the public for as long as it remains radioactive, in some cases centuries or
> > millenia. <Such standards would equally apply to most of the entire earth, except the time frame would be trillions of years for sources in the earth, and forever for sources like tritium and carbon-14 that are constantly generated in the earth's atmosphere by cosmic rays.>
> >

> > Why is this Safe?
> >
> > There is a safe level of exposure to ionizing radiation, so it makes sense
> > to permit exposures up to that level. <That level greatly exceeds natural background radiation levels.>
Some scientists have shown that risks