Re: S. 1287 and H.R. 45

We must work to defeat these bills. They have major anti-nuclear consequences.

We do NOT want to put all the spent fuel on the road to a central location to
be the welcome target of "Mobile Chernobyl" activists in every community in
30+ states.

We DO want the plants to be able to take control of their own destiny, not
continue to be subject to the ineptitude and whims of various presidential
administrations, vagaries of Congress, and DOE secretaries and bureaucrats.
(The privatized plants MUST be able to take control of their own destiny -
without the luxury of using state regulators to just extract more funds from
the ratepayers (us), that has only succeeded in making nuclear uneconomic and
leaving nuclear advocates out in the cold (while the 'utility advocates' have
done quite well :-).

We do NOT want to give DOE another $million for every $thousand worth of work.

We can NOT depend on DOE to do the job (see their track record - no
responsible executive would put more of their own money down such a rathole),
therefore every responsible plant is building on-site storage anyway. We DO
want the DOE waste funds to fund those on-site storage facilities (DOE is
directly responsible for failing to take it on schedule). On-site storage is
implemented by the responsible power facilities to meet cost- and
schedule-effective facility needs, not some DOE bureaucracy to again schedule
fuel transport, and again fail.

DOE should be able/directed to provide alternative storage (which it can do at
any of hundreds of well-characterized surplus sites), but only if it can meet
the cost/schedule needs of the plants.

If (cost-effective) central storage is desired, that MUST be a PRIVATE
decision to be made by the plants, who will take the risks on their own
objective basis. Legislation could best address undue barriers to such private
storage alternatives.

We ABSOLUTELY do NOT want NEI to continue to lie to the public that spent fuel
in on-site storage is dangerous and must be moved for public safety!

AND MOSTLY: We will NOT accept that we will bury spent fuel. If we support
nuclear energy (instead of electric utilities and DOE contractors), we MUST
plan to recycle spent fuel, when justified. Deciding on a central location
now, is unnecessary (and irresponsible). IF there is eventually no need for
our children and grandchildren to use nuclear energy, then we can handle the
spent fuel at reduced radiation and more responsible disposal standards.
Better we should STOP YUCCA MOUNTAIN! Do nothing until responsible rad
standards can be implemented (a generation if necessary). Maintain a
low-moderate level of research that can address only critical issues re
repository performance, reduce extreme packaging, etc.

There's more but the snow's getting deep. :-)

Regards, Jim
muckerheide@mediaone.net