RE: H2O Microwave Criticality

(HOW MUCH OF THIS IS TRUE??)  Overall, I suspect it is an "Urban Legend".

Water heated in a microwave WILL develop hot spots, even before reaching an
overall boiling temperature, which will cause foaming when a solid is added.
Instant coffee is particularly good for doing this, for some reason.
However, for the cup and water to both be so clean that no nucleation sites
were present to a degree allowing a high energy supercritical state, in a
casual environment, boggles the mind.

A more likely scenario is this:  when the coffee was added, the water
bubbled enough to overflow on the hand holding the cup, scalding it.  A
reflexive twitch would then take care of scattering the contents of the cup.

Dave Neil
neildm@id.doe.gov