RE: H2O Microwave Criticality

David Neal wrote:

"However, for the cup and water to both be so clean that no nucleation sites
were present to a degree allowing a high energy supercritical state, in a
casual environment, boggles the mind."

You evidently didn't see my prior reply.  I was heating grape juice in the
microwave and experienced explosive boiling.  When I say explosive, I mean,
while I was watching, there was a sudden loud WHUMP, and grape juice had covered
the inside of the microwave and was running out under the door onto the floor.
If this is possible with grape juice in an ordinary glass kitchen bowl (somewhat
the worse for wear with visible surface scratches), I see no reason to doubt the
story posted earlier.

Brian R. Gaulke, CHP
Head, Dosimetry Section
Radiation Protection Bureau