Re: Microwave "Criticality" Thread --Actual Meltdown Anecdote

>Maybe someone can post the melting point of borosilicate glass, and >what
>temperature is approximately achieved in a "white" hot object. >This
>curious and interesting happening shows that even a home  >microwave oven
>is capable of pumping a surprising amount of energy >into an object like a
>carbon mass, and in reaching very high >temperatures

It seems like a well designed microwave oven could be used to do interesting
chemistry experiments (this is a seriously meant comment). Never thought
about that before - in my case it was probably good that we didn't have a
microwave oven when I was a kid (I did a lot of experiments at home) - I am
sure that it would have turned into something bad. :-) Parents with
chemistry interested kids and a microwave should probably be aware of the
possibilities...

Bjorn Cedervall  bcradsafers@hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/