Re: STAR at work - the Bq police etc

Al's initiatve is important. I think that major efforts from our (health
physicists, radiation scientists etc) need to be made constantly, year after
year, to educate the public about natural radiation. The scrap metal topic
works politically because it makes good headlines and rhetorics
("radioactive toys" etc). I mentioned the other day that Sweden now
essentially is moving toward "no escaping becquerels" (Sweden has signed the
OSPAR convention). I don't know the outcome yet but the ideas may become
very expensive to our NPPs and result in no real benefit. Applied to other
areas (industries, activities in your home, visits to restaurants (there may
be a few molecules of PAH there...), many activities that people are
involved in would have to be shut down.

These ideas are absorbed by the public and many decision makers etc because
of the combination of sensationalism and lack of understanding for detection
limits and statistical variation, natural radiation etc.

My personal opinions only ("another prayer in the church"),

Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers@hotmail.com