Hormesis - medical benefits?

Mark,

I think we have to be careful when we generalize that "demonstrable medical
benefits" were seen with a specific dose.  What were these medical benefits.
How do you know that there were also not short-term or potential long-term
adverse effects.

In some cases, much higher doses are given than 150 rad to produce
"demonstrable medical benefits."

For example, the following paper:

Strober,Tanay, Field, Hoppe, Calin, Engleman, Kotzin, Brown, and Kaplan,
Efficacy of total lymphoid irradiation in intractable rheumatoid arthritis. A
double-blind, randomized trial., Annals of Internal Medicine. 102(4):441-9,
1985.

Abstract
Twenty-six patients participated in a randomized, double-blind study of the
efficacy of total lymphoid irradiation in the treatment of intractable
rheumatoid arthritis. All 26 patients, for whom therapy with gold compounds
and penicillamine had failed, would ordinarily have been considered
candidates for cytotoxic or antimetabolite drug therapy. Thirteen patients
randomly assigned to receive full-dose total lymphoid irradiation (2000 rad)
and 11 patients assigned to receive control low-dose total lymphoid
irradiation (200 rad) completed radiotherapy. Alleviation of joint disease
activity was significantly greater in the high-dose group as judged by
morning stiffness, joint tenderness, and functional assessment (global
composite score) at 3 and 6 months after radiotherapy. The high-dose group
had a marked reduction in both T-lymphocyte function and numbers, but this
finding was not observed in the low-dose group. Complications seen in the
high-dose but not low-dose group included transient neutropenia,
thrombocytopenia, pericarditis, and pleurisy.

The demonstrable medical benefit in this cases was the reduction in the
patient's arthritic symptoms.  Is there a potential for an adverse effect?
You bet.

My only point is that I don't think we should be to quick to put all our eggs
in a single "hormesis basket" (isolated findings), without examining more
indicators of the overall long term medical benefits.  All of these factors
need considered to determine the risk versus benefit of any treatment.

A side note, in this case the 200 rad was the control.  It would be
interesting to see if the researchers compared the immune function of their
"controls" to the immune function of a cohort of non-exposed rheumatoid
arthritis patients.

Bill Field
Department of Epidemiology
College of Public Health