Re: Sm-153

Carol,

As you probably know, a lot of times authorized users are not aware or do not
WANT to be aware or..etc. about the regulatory limits.  RSO, of course, as a
resposible for the license complience knows the limits.
But we all know about "specials deals". So in some licensee where RSOs are
sure about the license's complience they will allow to dispose it. In some,
it goes as a part of "special deals". Sort of a "DISPOSABLE ALARA" bargain
for the authorized users cost.

So, you are a lucky one, you have a good and a strong RSO.

Some RSO's even enjoy those special deals, I guess, it makes them to feel
"special".

I am too, like to feel that I am a special,......... but not in this way.
*grin*

You have a safe and a nice weekend.

Emil.
kerembaev@cs.com

Why are poeple having three different languages, writting, spoken and
thinking?
Why can't they write what they say and speak what they think?

"Unknown Author"

 Dear Emil:

 You raise interesting questions.  I always flush the syringe ten times with
 physiologic saline from the running IV after administering Quadramet.  My
 RSO has measured the quantity of Sm-153 remaining in the syringe and needle
 after this procedure in 3 cases after flushing.  Figure 1E-6 to 1E-5 as the
 factor for remaining activity, and virtually all of it is in the needle and
 needle cap (which does not get flushed), not the syringe. The activity of
 Eu-154 that remains is assumed to be proportional to the activity of Sm-153
 that remains (a valid assumption), and is below the level in 10CFR Part 20
 that requires being labeled "radioactive".  It is also within the IAEA
 standards for disposal as non-radioactive waste, if you are in a country
 that uses the IAEA standards.  If you are in the USA, and are concerned
 about waste disposal, I will tell you that California Rad Health has
 recommended putting in a 10 CFR Part 20.2002 amendment to your license to
 dispose of it as non-radioactive trash; presumably this would hold in other
 States, although I don't know that anyone is bothering to do so.  As it does
 not have to be labeled "radioactive" after 3 weeks of storage, it is
 reasonable to not treat it as being radioactive, and disposing of it as
 non-radioactive waste.

 Ciao, Carol

 Carol S. Marcus, Ph.D., M.D.
 <csmarcus@ucla.edu>