Re: Hormesis and homeopathy

Certain recent research by Vanderbilt University in
Nashville, Tennessee indicates that certain types of
controlled magnetic therapy given in precise methods
for certain conditions may, in fact, have health
benefits.  In fact, some of the results are strikingly
positive.  On the other hand, intense magnetic fields
can be destructive.

As for the validity of hormesis, if it does exist in
humans, it apparently has only minor nearly
undetectable benefits.  One theory is that some
function of the human immune system is somehow
stimulated by low-level radiation.  Assuming that this
is true, there are many things that will stimulate
certain functions of the immune system.  I personally
feel better about using one of the alternatives (such
as exercise or eating certain healthly foods or even
certain food supplements) than low levels of
radiation.

Homeopathy assumes that certain substances at
extremely low and harmless levels will cause the body
to react in beneficial ways with regard to getting
over a specific illness.  Many people and some
licensed medical doctors believe that for some people
there is more than a psychosomatic response.  It
should be remembered that people sometimes react very
differently to any given therapy and sometimes a given
therapy may only have beneficial effects on a very
small percentage of the population.  Unless broadly
controlled studies are done in this area with a large
number of people with many different kinds of these
therapies, its validity may be difficult to prove one
way or another.

If my understanding is correct concerning what is
meant by far infra red therapy by comments in this
radsafe channel, it is basically very similar to heat
therapy, except that it may penetrate the flesh very
slightly more deeply.  Heat therapy has been commonly
utilized for athletic injuries and other conditions.
As to whether or not heat therapy benefited those
conditions, many of those athletes certainly believe
in it.

Marty Jamieson

=== message truncated ===