Re: Check out U.S. Acknowledges Radiation Caused Cancers in Workers

Hello RADSAFERs:
1.  Please note new address in the signature block.  I am changing jobs and
beginning at the end of February will try to get all email except internal
Sandia email at this new address (my home).  The change will be complete
April 1 (no, it's not an April Fool!)

2.  Re the "draft report" on worker exposure.  I am as mystified as anyone,
and I kind of think this is mostly about money.  When I started doing
laboratory chemistry in my father's lab in 1950, and for many years
afterward, we did things that are prohibited today.  They are certainly
things that if done in a production mode MIGHT cause some chronic health
effect (e.g., we pipetted almost everything by mouth; I used gallons of
benzene and butanol for extractions, without a hood, etc.).  This was long
before OSHA and many practices, though deplorable, were common.  I am sure
that if there were a wave of demands for reparations, every heavy industry
in America would be considered culpable -- not just DOE and not just the
nuclear industry.

I suggest that we ALL write to our members of Congress that before any
compensation is made, a clear, unequivocal causality be shown between the
disease or health effect and the exposure.

Ruth F. Weiner, Ph. D.
7336 Lew Wallace NE
Albuquerque, NM 87109
505-856-5011