Re: Thoughts please! (ICRP 60)

>Question the concept of 'additional' deaths due to background radiation.
>
>This is additional to what?

I don't know where exactly this above came from (quoted by someone else) but
ICRP 60 deals with death _rate_ probabilities based on the classical
Gompertz function G(zero, u) = A x Exp(B x u) + C
where A, B, and C are constants from demographic data and u is age. Then a
death probability rate increment to this is added, dp/du, so the new total
function becomes

G(u)=G(zero, u) + dp/du

This is not a probability function, but instead a probability rate function
used for plots and graphs (describing how we decay with increasing age - it
is a quite nice exponential after the age of 35 or so - if I recall
correctly a Swede should theoretically have a maximum life span of about 114
years according to this model - obviously in conflict with the decay model
for radioactivity) in ICRP 60. Well, it is interesting to see what can come
out of computers.
:-)

Bjorn Cedervall  bcradsafers@hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/