RE: Cerenkov spectrum question

At 07:14 28.01.2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Very true, and according to my old physics texts (I certainly had to look it
>up), the index of refraction is equal to the square-root of the dielectric
>constant.
>David L. North, Sc.M.
>Associate Physicist
>Rhode Island Hospital
>Providence, RI

Sorry, a chemist like me should probably not interfere with physicists...

By the way, Cerenkov spectra (pulse height spectra) can be easily obtained
in a liquid scintillation spectrometer. Measurement of the high energetic
betas of Y-90 can be done using Cerenkov radiation from an aqueous
solution, thus avoiding the interference of most low-energetic betas,
though sacrifying some efficiency. The use of "wave-length shifters" to
measure Ac-228 with better efficiency has also been described. Of course
the effect of a burst in a TRIGA reactor cannot be achieved in the liquid
scintillation vial.....

Regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer