RE: Emergency Response

Title: RE: Emergency Response

Point well taken.  Until my agency started aggressively enforcing the ERI rule, the majority of Florida's radioactive materials licensees were not providing ERI sheets to their drivers transporting RAM.  We now require our licensees to submit sample ERI sheets to us as part of the licensing process and look for them during inspections.  We cite (but not fine) first time offenders to force compliance, but we also provide them with model ERI sheets (based on ones obtained from manufacturers) to assist them in complying.  We also explain the rationale for the rule  - it benefits their drivers, helping ensure that they receive prompt medical attention by reducing any hesitation on the part of first responders that may be reluctant to "dive in" to an accident scene where radiation-labeled packages are present that pose an unknown health hazard.

Unfortunately, other state radiation control agencies have not been as proactive on this issue as Florida, so there remain many exclusive use carriers that don't have ERI sheets for their shipments.  I have been trying to carry the message to other inspectors when I teach at the NRC's Inspection Procedures course, but I suspect we still have a long way to go.

Walter Cofer
Florida Bureau of Radiation Control
Walter_Cofer@doh.state.fl.us