Re: RADSAFE digest 2929

In a message dated 2/7/00 10:35:24 AM Pacific Standard Time,
radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu writes:

<<  I suspect the statement is
 made either on the basis of animal data or on extrapolation from high intakes
 (but I don't know of any human studies of high inhalation depositions in the
 lungs that demonstrate even high depositions cause cancer).  Any
enlightenment
 out there?  Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net >>

The Soviet nuclear weapons program apparently led to some very high doses
from plutonium.  There were several papers on the Soviet program in last
summer's Health Physics meeting in Philadelphia.  Although I don't have any
exact references to give you, my impression is that these exposures produced
some very serious health consequences.  The exposures were much greater than
those in the American weapons programs.  Some information related to this was
published in the Health Physics journal but I don't have the exact dates.  I
think it was since last summer.

Robert Holloway
Nevada Technical Associates, Inc.
http://www.ntanet.net/