RE: tritium contamination of Hanford groundwater

Title: RE: tritium contamination of Hanford groundwater

I question your use of 6" as the annual amount of rainfall for the Hanford watershed.  I attempted to develop a water budget for the entire Columbia River watershed last fall for a grad school assignment and had difficulty in obtaining consensus on the basin's annual precipitation levels.  I ended up using 29" (I forget the source) and my professor commented that he thought that number was too low.  The area is very heterogenous and many factors influence rainfall (topography, wind currents, etc.).  If you are looking at just the Hanford subbasin, 6" may be accurate, but I suspect it may be too low, and if that's the case, there will be greater groundwater movement than you have calculated.  So my question is, what was the source for your annual rainfall number, and how confident are you that it is accurate?  Also, a 95% evapotranspiration rate sounds high even for a desert climate; were you able to obtain a solid source for that number as well?

I'm not disputing the main point of your submittal, that river dilution may lower the tritium levels to regulatory limits, but the rate that contamination moves through groundwater to the river may be higher that you calculate.

Walter Cofer
Walter_Cofer@doh.state.fl.us