Re: Sr-89, Radiotherapy & cord compression.

At 11:43 AM 08-02-00 -0600, you wrote:

>I am certainly no expert, but could it be that SCC would result in
significant
>uptake of Sr-89 in bone removed from tumour locations?

Reply.

I expect the point being made is this:  When a tumour is being treated with
radiotherapy or radioisotopes there was always a risk of a radiation
response with initial swelling and oedema.
I have seen this with I-131 therapy in metastatic thyroid cancer.  We were
well aware of the risk prior to treatment in a case with spinal metastasis
and discussed the case with a neurosurgeon before proceeding.
In fact long tract signs did develop in this case, but were controlled by
dexamethasone.

In the example of I-131 were I have most experience, it is good advice to
always consider the consequence of any reaction in the metastasis and if
necessary have appropriate help on hand.
Having said this such events requiring surgical alleviation must be rare.

Sorry forgot to a signature.
Ivor Surveyor		[isurveyor@vianet.net.au]
Emeritus Consultant Physician,
Department of Nuclear Medicine