RE: Sr-89, Radiotherapy & cord compression.

Treatment with Sr-89 could be categorized as continuous low-dose
irradiation, the dose from the isotope in the bone takes weeks to be
delivered and and the palliative effects usually do not appear until about
three weeks or so after administration. As Dr. Marcus indicated, in cases of
imminent spinal cord compression, it is urgent to deliver an large, acute
dose of radiation to quickly halt the tumour progression in the vertebral
body.  If a patient suffered spinal cord compression shortly after Sr-89
therapy administration, it is likely that it would have occurred in the same
time frame without the Sr-89 treatment. Unless you are constantly doing
diagnostic spinal x-rays or bone scans on these patients, you may not be
aware of the severe deterioration of a vertebral body due to rapid tumour
progression.  Occasionally the first symptom of gross metastatic disease in
the spinal column is not pain, but sudden collapse of a vertebral body,
leading to rapid cord compression and paralysis. So it's likely the Sr-89
had nothing to do with provoking the cord compression, rather the timing of
the Sr-89 administration and the cord compression was coincidental and in
this case the outcome might have been more successful if external radiation
had been applied instead.

Regards from the frozen North
Karin

Karin Gordon RTR, RTNM, RTT