Re: radioactivity/earthworms

At 13:17 09.02.2000 -0600, you wrote:
>I just did the google.com search for >earthworms radioactivity> and here
>is an example of one of the items that turned up at the following
>website.
>
>http://www.danwinter.com/yarrow/nukedust.htm
>
>"Certain bacteria can transmute unstable radioactive isotopes into
>harmless elements. Strong doses of rockdust nurture a bacteria
>population boom, thereby enhancing transmutation activity to remove
>radioactivity from soil.
>
>There's little scientific evidence of this. Yet, it occurs, and a few
>scientists know this. As one appropriate example, Bechtel, world's
>largest construction contractor, currently has a high-level science team
>at Chernobyl. One strategy they're using is bacteria to consume and
>neutralize radioactive elements -- a strategy successful with oil
>spills, PCBs and hazardous chemicals."
>
>As with all such info, take it with a grain of salt and consider its
>source.

I suppose to spend several billion dollars on this research, because this
would be the solution of the nuclear waste problem! Why has nobody of you
scientists ever thought of this elegant, self evident and probably cheap
way to get rid of everything nuclear?

Reading something like this I could believe that we still live in the
medieval times, alchemy just having been evented with their "transmutation"
of lead or other common metals into gold!

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna