Re: Deadly Plutonium ?

Please, how does Pu get into DU?  Are the enrichment plants contaminated with
Pu?  It seems so from all the current media articles on Paducah.  If so, what is
the measured Pu concentration in DU?  Or has no one ever asked that question?
Or is the DU used in weapons all from non Pu contaminated DU?  Al Tschaeche
antatnsu@pacbell.net

"Bradshaw, Keith" wrote:

>         When you take into account the dose coefficients for INHALATION of
> insoluble species and for members of the public,  by my reckoning it takes
> only approx. 1ppm by mass of Pu-239 in DU to double its overall Sv/Bq rating
> and hence reduce its DAC by a factor of 2. The presence of 238 and 240-Pu
> (which is usual in civil Pu) would give a figure below 1ppm because of their
> greater alpha activity per unit mass.
>
>         Nat-U has about 1.7 times the U alpha activity of DU (of Rand Report
> isotopic composition) so about 1.7ppm of Pu-239 in nat-U would approximately
> double the radiological hazard weight for weight.

begin:vcard
n:Tschaeche;Al
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Nuclear Standards Unlimited