Re: : Re: Toxic Trivia

>During this course he indicated that "in his opinion" most lung
>cancers associated with cigarettes were caused by radioactivity >rather
>than the chemical carcinogens.  He indicated that Pb-210 and >Po-210 as the
>primary sources of the radiation.

I question whether a quantitative statement ("...most lung cancers...") can
be made. Already 25 years ago about 20000 harmful chemicals had been found
in cigarette smoke. This included many aromatic hydrocarbons such as
benzene, benzpyrene and anthracene like compounds including various
partially oxidized forms of these (like epoxides), nitrosoamines, most of
the metals of the periodic table (this is mainly a question of level or dose
except for a few elements As, Pb, Sb, Hg and Cd which probably have no
biological function).
And then Pb-210, Po-210 etc. I don't see how you could study the relative
effects - relative DNA damage may be a starting point but there is much more
in tumor progression - cell membrane damage may be one promotion factor for
instance.

But I must say that I like the idea of cigarette radiation warnings but many
smokers probably wouldn't care.

My personal ideas only,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com
PS. Hope to see some of you Radsafers at the Tokaimura discussion in L.A.
tomorrow (this is my vacation).
http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/