Re: Toxic Trivia

Bjorn Cedervall wrote:
>. . .. Already 25 years ago about 20000 harmful chemicals had been found
>in cigarette smoke. This included many aromatic hydrocarbons such as
>benzene, benzpyrene and anthracene like compounds including various
>partially oxidized forms of these (like epoxides), nitrosoamines, most of
>the metals of the periodic table (this is mainly a question of level or dose
>except for a few elements As, Pb, Sb, Hg and Cd which probably have no
>biological function).  . . ..

Sorry for the frequent ellipis in this citation,  I no longer have access to the original.

Smoking:
   "The effects that result from smoking are due to . . . carbonic acid, ammonia, nicotine, a volatile empyreumatic substance, and a bitter extract."
   "Smoking produces disturbances . . . of the stomach . . . of the heart . . . of the bronchial surface of the lungs."
   "No confirmed smoker can ever be said . . . to be well.  But it does not follow that he is becoming the subject of organic and fatal disease because he smokes."
   "Smoking is a luxury which any nation of moral habits would be better without . . . but it is probably one of the least hurtful luxuries.  . . . It is innocuous as compared with alcohol."

Dr. Richardson in Confederate States Medical & Surgical Journal,  November 1864.

I fear I am straying off topic.

Zack Clayton
Ohio EPA - DERR
email:  zack.clayton@epa.state.oh.us