Re: Toxic Trivia

Philippe Duport gives a good reply to your question. In addition, the
tobacco leaves have an ideal surface for the collection of the longer-lived
decay products of radon (Pb-210 and Po-210). Page 94 of NCRP 45, page 94,
has the following:

"In addition to a dose to the lungs, cigarette smoke also contributes a
substantial fraction of the Pb-210 and Po-210 to the body of a smoker,
since both these elements are volatile at the burning temperature of
tobacco (about 1500 deg K). For a person smoking one pack per day,
cigarettes can account for 40 % of the total Pb-210 intake."

DJWhitfill

Opinions expressed are mine and do not reflect official policies or
positions of the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.

                    Al Tschaeche
                    <antatnsu@pacbell.        To:     Multiple recipients of list
                    net>                      <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
                    Sent by:                  cc:
                    radsafe@romulus.eh        Subject:     Re: Toxic Trivia
                    s.uiuc.edu

                    02/09/00 07:30 PM
                    Please respond to
                    radsafe

--------------4389C65ABAB33992BC556181

Franz Schoenhofer wrote:

> It might be that polonium metal is very volatile, but I doubt (!!! this
> means that it is not possible) that it occurs in the metallic form in
> tobacco!

Does anyone know the chemical form of polonium in tobacco in cigarettes?
In the
smoke that is inhaled?  In the lungs after deposition?  Al Tschaeche
antatnsu@pacbell.net

--------------4389C65ABAB33992BC556181

begin:vcard
n:Tschaeche;Al