Re: Radioactive assault case

     'That tingle tells you it's working...'

     (I'm sorry...I'm sorry...I couldn't help myself)

     V.

Subject: Radioactive assault case
Author:  "Hamrick.Philip" <hamrick@niehs.nih.gov> at Internet
Date:    2/10/00 12:07 PM

In the Associated press article on the former lab technician who plead
guilty to misdemeanor assault with radioactive material, there was an
interesting statement attributed to the lab technician.  He said "his lips
began to tingle" and he attributed this to the presence of 32P.  I doubt
that the radiation from 32P had anything to do with the lips tingling and it
may have been the only defense he could think of.  However, several years
ago, one of our technicians (who did not like having to work with
radioactive material) told me that their lips would tingle any time someone
in lab opened a vial of 32P. Normally a mCi or less of activity was used in
the laboratory. Our industrial hygienist visited the lab and looked at the
chemicals that were being used in the lab and knew of nothing that could be
cause this reaction.  Have any of you had similar experiences or do you know
of any chemicals that might be associated with the use of 32P labeled
nucleotides that would lead to a tingling sensation on the lips or in the
mouth?

Philip Hamrick, Ph.D., CHP
Hamrick@niehs.nih.gov