Reg Guide 1.86

Three comments regarding the 1.86 limits:

1)  Although not directly aimed at Reg Guide 1.86, the following passage
from IE Circular 81-07, "Control of
Radioactively Contaminated Material," may be pertinent:

"Based on the studies of residual radioactivity limits for decommissioning
(NUREG-0613 and NUREG-0707), it can
be concluded that surfaces uniformly contaminated at levels of 5000 dpm/100
cm2 (beta-gamma activity from
nuclear power reactors) would result in potential doses that total less
than 5 mrem/yr.  Therefore, it can be
concluded that for the potentially undetected contamination of discrete
items and materials at levels
below 5000 dpm/100 cm2, the potential dose to any individual will be
significantly less than 5 mrem/yr even
if the accumulation of numerous items contaminated at this level is
considered."

NUREG-0613:  "Residual Radioactivity Limits for Decommissioning, Draft
Report."  October, 1979.

NUREG-0707:  "A Methodology for Calculating Residual Radioactivity Levels
Following Decommissioning."  October, 1980.

2)  I would suggest running the 1.86 limits through RESRAD's suite of
models.  I believe you will find (for
most common model assumptions) that the doses are quite low.

3)  I recall, from my Navy RadCon days, being told that the limits were
derived from the fallout levels on cars
that were parked at the Bettis plant in the late 1950's. This could be
urban legend, I suppose, but the story was
that smearable levels were in the neighborhood of 450 uuC/100 cm2 (i.e.,
1000 dpm), hence the limit.

Jim Barnes, CHP
Radiation Safety Officer
Rocketdyne/Boeing