Orphan Source (Radioactive Sealed Source ) Program

RADSAFERS:

        This inquiry is intended primarily for those RADSAFERS who are or have worked in the DOE complex.  Please consider responding to me my e-mail address below.

        QUESTION:  Does any RADSAFER know if DOE presently has any written expectations of DOE contractors regarding "orphan" sources?  At one time in the past, I can recall that DOE proposed some sort of program by which people who had radioactive sealed sources (RSS) that they no longer needed were supposed to implement a local site program that essentially advertised the availability of the RSS that "needed to find a good home" in an effort to keep the RSS from having to be disposed of.  This was essentially a "waste minimization" program focused on RSSs.

        Does DOE, to anyone's knowledge, still have the expectation that DOE contractors should have some sort of program to advertise the availability of "orphan" sources?  If so, could you please enlighten me as to where DOE's expectations in this regard are written down?

        Thank-you in advance.  Best regards  David

DAVID W. LEE, CHP
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Radiation Protection Services
Radiological Engineering Team Leader