DOE hearings

Below is a message sent out to pep up the anti-nukes for some near-term DOE
local hearings on health effects.  Hard science marches on.  It is only a
coincidence that elections will be occurring soon.

Don Kosloff mailto:dkosloff@ncweb.com
2910 Main St., Perry OH 44081

 Hello DOEWatch,

Just passing along some information about DOE health and safety related
meetings to
get  ready for and turn out numbers to attend. These meetings with the sick
  persons telling their stories will help to define for HQ and Congress what
  types of health damages are in evidence and help figure these into the
 compensation decision processes.  So, if one comes to your area, turn out.
There is a perceived window of opportunity before the
next administration, so time is of the essence in gaining exposure and help
for
  these problems.

DOE HQ intends to hold additional meetings like the ones done at
Paducah,  Oak Ridge, Portsmouth, and Hanford.

 Upcoming meetings are coming to the NTS on Feb. 25, at the DOE Fed
 Building in Las Vegas, on 232 Energy Way,  and also to the Los Alamos site
on March 18th.  Spread the word about these and get it on the networks and
  into the press, etc.

   Since Los Alamos is kind of a "company town" zone------folks might wanna
  work up that area some to insure a good turn out and participation.    The
  idea is to simply tell the real problems with health and exposures.
This
  creates a paper trail that makes it into the press and into the publics
eye.

 Internal HQ scuttlebutt has it that they are hearing that the fluorides
  are a big issue at the diff. plants and its coming from the unions and
from
  the sick worker health effects that are being told in these hearings.
  They are also planning to depart from RECA formats in proposals to
  congress--------in that--------they appear to know that the health effects
go  beyond cancer and radiations.  They are hearing about the fibro and
other
  immune factor illnesses.

 Just wanted to share that information and encourage folks to speak about
  the releases and health effects in these public hearings. Keep the
openness  going and lets all get this information and health effects outed
for
  everyone's common good.

  Jim

Guys,

I thought you'd like to know about these upcoming hearings. Please pass this
notice around, Michaels and his aide Egan are calling people asking them to
come out and discuss what's really going on with workers and residents in
terms of health effects from living around and working in these facilities.
THIS IS YOUR CHANCE. Please try to find time to go and give testimony.

Here, I'll start...when we moved to Colo. from South Dakota, my Dad applied
at Rocky Flats. As part of that employment process, they gave him an
injection they said was PLUTONIUM, to see if he was allergic to it. He
declined the job there (thank God), after government agents went to our old
neighbors in SD to ask all about him, it was such an invasive abomination.
NOW, he has interstitial pulmonary fibrosis, and has had a triple heart
artery bypass last year, and is on oxygen 24 hours a day. My 2 sisters have
had to have cancerous cells removed several times. Both sisters have chronic
depression, one also has a terrible nickel allergy. One sister's firstborn
child had such severe CNS defects, she lived for a few weeks. The first
trimester was during the Rocky Flats 1969 fire that purportedly burned up a
metric ton of plutonium. She now has 1 surviving child of 6. I have
fibromyalgia, allergies, severe asthma, Ankylosing Spondylitis, and
degenerating discs. Our Mother has had rheumatoid arthritis, shoulder and
knee replacements. None of the above has run in our family previously.

Families that lived around us in Arvada, CO, downwind from Rocky Flats have
been decimated. Many of the families have experienced respiratory and cancer
problems. Many of the parents of people in my generation have died of
lymphomas and brain cancers. The respiratory problems are more broadspread
in
my generation. One family that lived on a hill a few blocks north of us has
only ONE (1) surviving family member. She remembers the plume from the 1957
and 1969 fires traveling from Rocky Flats over their home. The rest of her
family died of multiple cancers, and her longevity is in doubt.

I believe the FLUORINE issue is an important one. Workers at RF relayed
seeing birds drop dead out of the sky when they opened the HF shed at RF.
You'd think that would be a clue how dangerous it truly is. Please talk
about
how this has affected your site's population.

So, how's you're neighborhoods? Please come out and tell DOE's Dr. Michaels
all about it. Get it on the record. Please pass this down the line to
interested parties.

Paula Elofson-Gardine
Executive Director
Environmental Information Network