Accident with Am-241 smoke detectors

A dutch governmental newspaper published an article in january, in which the
author stated that his health had been ruined by a smoke detector containing
Am-241 (I wonder what he has done with it: cut old detector sources to see what
is in it?) . He pleaded for a complete abolition of these smoke detectors
because of the enormous danger of Am-241, "the danger of these detectors being
much greater than their so-called importance in saving lives of potential fire
victims".

The author illustrated the danger of radioactive smoke detectors by refering to
a car crash in France (september/october 1999?). Here, 400 smoke detectors were
said to have burnt. Released Am-241 is said to have contaminated several
policemen and fire department personnel.

Both as HP and as a volunteer in the fire brigade I want to reply to this
potentially dangerous article.

Until now I have not read anything of the crash mentioned, let alone that I
learnt anything of an americium-release in this crash and the result for people
involved in the assistance. Can somebody supply me with info on this crash?

I would like to supply the governmental newspaper with more accurate
information, and tell that these smoke detectors are too important for people's
safety to be forbidden.

Thanks,

Jetty Middelkoop
Radiological Protection Service