Re: Residents Angry After Nuke Release

Radsafers,

I was there.  I received the call at about 1 am on the 16th and was at the
News Media Center for the Indian Point Site by 4:30 am.  Of course I am 1306
miles away but I am on the "team" as a Health Physic Consultant.

On arrival there were about a dozen or so both written, radio, and TV crews
present.  During the next 12 hours or so the Indian Point personnel provided
excellent information to all the news media, and at times one on one.  I did
not observe once where an Indian Point Spokes Person refused to answer or
gave an erroneous answer to a member of the media.

All in all I rated there performance and the flow of information a "10."

As a team member I had access to all the information, participated in News
Briefing discussions, and if I made recommendations they were usually
accepted.  Later in the day I observed TV programs that were presented by
various stations and they appeared to be accurate.

The written media tends, at times to stretch the imagination and look for the
unusual rather than report a non measurable event.

It is well to report that the off site notifications are done by the counties
and state personnel not the site (utility) persons. The county and state
personnel were also part of the "Team" and participated in the briefings
100%.and if I didn't say it, they also receive a "10".

Bob Ryan, CHP
Associate Professor (Emeritus)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
ryanchp@aol.com