Re: sealed sources

I think they want them inventoried to assure they don't get "lost."  Maybe
you could somehow put a security seal on the waste bin so that you would
know if the source was removed.  Then all you have to do is check that the
seal is intact.  Run it by your regulators first, though, so they agree it
is acceptable.

At 11:56 AM 02/18/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>If sealed sources are being held for decay in storage do they still need to
>be inventoried and leak tested?  I have read the relevant parts of 10 CFR
>and it looks like they are exempt from leak testing but not inventory.  It
>does not seem to make sense to have to remove sources from waste bins to
>inventory them and return them to the waste bin.
>Any comments on this would be appreciated.
>
>Tracy Kiellman
>Associate Health Physicist
>Syncor International
>(818)737-4515
>kiellmant@syncor.com

Dave Derenzo (dave@uic.edu)
UIC Radiation Safety Section, M/C 932
Phones: Voice (312) 996-1177  Fax: (312) 996-8776