Re: sealed sources

Tracy:

What sealed sources have short enough half-lives to be decayed in storage? Only I-125 seeds come to mind at the moment. But, even so, the DIS paradigm is generally held only to be applicable to "waste", that is contaminated gloves, glassware, empty stock vials, etc. The idea is that the activity you start out with is very small so that it will reach background after ten half-lives or so.  If you start out with a 10 millicurie source, say, after ten half-lives you've still got 10 microcuries, which (hopefully) will be far above your background.

Your regulator may have objections to placing sources into DIS. I would.

There has been one notable exception, that being spent moly generators. These are not sealed sources, but the initial activity is very high. They had been considered appropriate for DIS because the half-life is so short. BUT, we are finding that due to long lived contaminants, at least from some manufacturers, the spent columns never get down to background!  When DIS becomes indefinite storage its no longer appropriate.

Clayton Bradt, CHP <raldrich@nysnet.net>        phone: 518/457-1202
Assoc. Radiophysicist                                             fax:      518/485-7406
NYS Dept. of Labor
Radiological Health Unit
Blg.12, Rm 169
State Office Campus