Re: NUMEC Pu-Be sources

I would be interested in hearing from you should you should you decide to
measure the source emission rate and compare it to that on the original
source documentation. Any other experimental data out there?

"A little experience often upsets a lot of theory."
-Cadman

or

"Real world measurements often upset a lot of computer models"
-a meter slinger's anthem

DJWhitfill

Opinions expressed are mine and do not reflect official policies or
positions of the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.
denison.8@osu.edu
Sent by:                  To:     Multiple recipients of list
radsafe@romulus.eh        <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
s.uiuc.edu                cc:
Subject:     NUMEC Pu-Be sources

02/20/00 10:49 PM
Please respond to
radsafe

Looking for information on the plutonium isotope composition of NUMEC Pu-Be
neutron sources.  The documentation I've found (including copies of old
reports to the AEC) lists the Pu-239 fraction, but says nothing about the
rest of the Pu mass.  I need to know the Pu-241 fraction in order to
calculate the increase in neutron production due to Am-241 ingrowth (see
note below).

I know that Babcock and Wilcox bought out NUMEC back in the 1970's, but I'm
not getting anywhere trying to contact them directly.  Their 800 number
referred me to the Lynchburg? Virginia facility, whose engineering
department forwarded me to their legal office, which hasn't called back.

I would appreciate any assistance you folks can give me in locating a
source for this information.  Thanks!