RE: NUMEC Pu-Be sources

I have an old article written in 1967 by a M. Edward Anderson, Monsanto
Research Corporation.  We had a 40+ curie PuBe source on the NTS used for
neutron Quality Control dosimeter irradiation and the increases in neutron
yield due to Am-241 buildup were beginning to affect the results.  My
research turned up this article back in 1993.

Respond to me directly with your fax number and I can FAX the 5 pages.

The article establishes that an initial 0.7% Pu-241 impurity will result in
a yield increase of ~ 2% per year.  And the maximum yield will be ~ 1.33
times the original yield.  This maximum would be reached in 69.5 years.  It
also provides a table with plutonium isotopic abundance for some specific
source numbers.

Richard_M_Pierson@rl.gov
Richard M. Pierson, HP
River Protection Project