health physics calculator

RADSAFErs,

I've been toying with a simple idea for a side project, so here's a couple
questions for you all:

1.	Would there be interest in a "health physics calculator" program
that would essentially be a scientific calculator (something like the one
available in Windows95), but with built-in functions for routine health
physics-type calculations.  Possibly to include databases of radionuclide
info, simple shielding attenuation factors, etc., such that one could
quickly calculate the various values we often need.

2.	If so, what functions would you like to see included?  For example,
a starting point could be the rules-of-thumb and useful equations listed in
the Rad Health Handbook.

Since this is only a thought, and I have not researched the idea at all,
perhaps there is something out there already that I am not aware of.  (Us
headquarters types are not always plugged into what is actually happening in
the workplace :-)  If so, please let me know.  Otherwise, if there is
interest I might take it on, as I am looking for a home project.  I can
envision this going a couple different directions, depending on the need.
It could either be a standalone program, or an add-in to a program like
Excel, MathCad, or Mathematica.  Any suggestions?

Note that I am not out to make money here, but only looking to fill a
possible need.  It just seemed like something that I would like to do that
may be of use to somebody else also.

Please respond to me personally at the address below, unless there is
something you wish to say to everybody.

Doug Minnema, PhD, CHP
<Douglas.Minnema@ns.doe.gov>