Re: intentional misuse - proposed "cures"

Kim Merritt wrote:

>  The DOE is a research
> institution also.  We have thousands of radioactive material users,
> many foreign nationals (if that truly is a factor) and have to compete
> for research funds just like you do.  We also perform background
> checks on everybody <snip>...<snip> we somehow manage to do
> work without our researchers stealing our radioactive material so they
> can misuse it.

The DOE cannot even protect TOP SECRET documents with the
highest of national security relevance from being stolen and
misused.  How effective were those background checks?  Is
oversight of radioactive materials at DOE facilities more stringent
than the plans for nuclear weapons?

Based on certain incidents at DOE facilities, I understand that if a
researcher wants to bring home a few microcuries, all they have to
do is put up flypaper.  <grin>

> Lets face it, the number of places
> that offer interesting research prospects is limited and they are all
> governed by the same rules in this country.

Not quite.  DOE facilities are regulated by DOE rules enforced by
DOE.  Universities/hospitals are regulated by NRC rules enforced
by NRC or State regulatory agencies.

> Allowing the rules to be
> bent at a  facility reflects poorly on the rest of us.

No one ALLOWED the rules to be bent.  This was a case of
INTENTIONAL, unauthorized act involving radioactive material.  Can
we think of an analogy.  Does one allow one's car to be
vandalized?  Does one allow drugs to be consumed?  If we could
prevent these acts from occurring we would not need jails.

BTW, there have been 13 similar incidents in 28 years with 5 in the
last 5 years.  (NUREG-1535 lists 10 + Brown, UC Irvine, and
Columbia.)  Epidemic?

Offer me a real, practicable solution and I will implement it.

Kent Lambert

kent.lambert@drexel.edu