Re: [rad-sci-l] Chernobyl genetic disaster

Mike, Group,
A note from Zbigniew Jaworowski on this "report":

Dear Jim,
  The world should rather become accustomed to occasional catastrophic
announcements from the post-Soviet countries. As usually, a director of a
Belorussian institute tries to get financial help, facing the disastrous
economic situation of his country. However, he should know better the normal
prevalences of hereditary disorders. According to UNSCEAR data to be
published after May 2000, the normal prevalence of congenital anomalies in
Hungary, a Central European country with probably the best human genetic
studies in the world, is 7.1% of live births (UNSCEAR A/AC.82/R.596,
p.105).
  Taking the population of Belarus as about 10 millions, and the birth rate
the same as it was in the former Soviet Union in 1991 of 17.6 per 1000
people, i.e. 180 000 births per year, the normal number of congenital
anomalies in the Belarus should be about 12 800 per year. This is 5 times
more than reported by Vladislav Ostapenko.
  Population decline is observed over whole post-Soviet area, including far
eastern parts of Russia, not affected at all by the Chernobyl fallout. In
1999 Russia experienced natural population loss of 836 000 people, and the
natural population loss of combined Russia and Ukraine (total population of
200 million) has surpassed 1.7 million since 1992 (R. Douglas, EIR vol. 27,
No. 7, p.25-27, 2000). All this has nothing to do with the Chernobyl
radiation.
  Radiation doses received by Belorussian children (about 60 mSv) were much
lower than the doses in Hiroshima and Nagasaki (up to 6000 mSv) where no
hereditary changes in the progeny of A-bomb victims, were observed.
  To cite from the UNSCEAR 1999 draft document on Chernobyl effects: "Risk of
leukemia, one of the most sensitive indicators of radiation exposure, is not
elevated even among the accident recovery operation workers or in children.
There is no scientific proof of an increase in other non-malignant
disorders, somatic or mental, that are related to ionizing radiation".
Best wishes,
Zbigniew