Re: Reward

Dr. Cohen,

Checking the archives, you stated on July 19, 1998 that:

"I will evaluate the proposal and attempt to show that it is highly
implausible as an explanation of the discrepancy. If I fail to do this in
my own judgement, I will award the proposer $2500 and publish a
concession. If the proposer does not agree that I have shown his proposal
to be highly implausible , I will award him $1000 provided we publish a
joint paper containing his proposal and my demonstration, and explaining
both of our positions on plausibility."

Obviously, the proposers Lubin and (Smith and others) did not agree and both
your responses and theirs were published together in the Health Physics
Journal.  In fact, the articles were published as Forum articles. I just read
the rejoinders and follow-up letters from Lubin and (Fields and others) last
evening.   According to your statement above, it would be my view that they
should surely receive at least the $1,000 reward.  If you do not plan to
follow the rules you established, it is likely no one will respond to your
more recent reward offers.

I also remember you making reward offers of a million dollars at meetings at
least 10 years ago challenging people to show that your laboratory QA for
your radon gas measurments in your laboratory were inadequate.  Does memory
serve me correctly?  Did anyone ever challenge you on that?

Jeff Klugh
radiationhealth@aol.com