RE: Misuse, Susan Gawarecki's response

Group,

Susan wrote:

"I know of several organic chemists and mineralogists who died fairly
young due to cancers of the liver, pancreas, or other internal organs,
likely due in part to decades of exposure to fumes and skin-absorbed
chemicals.  The radiation industry seems to be much more focused on
proper safety, handling, storage, and disposal procedures than the
chemists."

I might have said this before but as an undergraduate chemistry student I
was told in a lecture that chemist had life expectancy 5 years less than the
general population.  It was ascribed largely to mercury vapor.  Lots of
mercury containing instruments in labs, they break, the mercury gets into
the cracks in the tiles and there may be a chronic mercury vapor problem.
This was like 30 years ago [oh how I hate to say that!] before OSHA and EPA.
So chemists may be a pretty complacent lot.  At least they were.  Probably
half the class would leave if a similar statement were made today.

BTW I think a campaign to get sheet vinyl flooring made the standard lab
floor would have a lot higher cost benefit ratio than trying to find root
causes and make corrective actions for misuse of radioactive materials.
99+% of every lab I've been in has 1 foot square tiles with cracks that
accumulate all kinds of stuff, and make decon a night mare if it is needed.

Any opinions expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily represent those
of the Denver VA Medical Center, The Department of Veterans Affairs, or the
U.S. Government.

Peter G. Vernig
Radiation Safety Officer, VA Medical Center, 1055 Clermont St. Denver, CO
80220, ATTN; RSO MS 115
303-399-8020 ext. 2447, peter.vernig@med.va.gov [alternate
vernig.peter@forum.va.gov] Fax 303-393-5026 [8 - 4:30 MT service] Alternate
Fax 303-377-5686

"...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right,, whatever is
pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is found to be
excellent or praiseworthy, let your mind dwell on these things."    Paul