Intentional Misuse Thread

Radsafers:

I agree wholeheartedly with what Andy Karam (Andy and I have traded some
private messages on this issue) and a number of other university RSO's have
posted on this issue.  Intentional misuse isn't an epidemic, by any stretch
of the imagination.  Psychological testing of new employees to pick out
those individuals that might do such a thing would probably be a big waste
of time (I wonder if the US postal service does psychological tests on their
employees).

For my time and money, I would rather concentrate my efforts on educating
the regulators, politicians, the media, and the public that these events at
universities, for the most part, are basically non-events with respect to
the actual hazard.  They are drastically different from what has occurred
with multiple Curie level radioactive sources that find their way into the
public domain.

Where do we start?  That's a good question; however, if both regulators and
licensees keep hammering away at the politicians and the media that small
amounts of radioactivity represent little hazard, perhaps some of the
"radiation mystique" (my terminology) will fade.  Such a position might also
prevent the few "nuts" out there from using radioactivity for their dirty
deeds (the down side is they might use something that will actually hurt
somebody).

I agree with one point that Sandy Perle and Bill Lipton make about
regulators implementing ludicrous regulations based on political and public
pressure.  I interpret their message to mean "the squeaky wheel gets the
grease."  However, in my opinion, their proposed "fix" to implement
psychological testing is exactly what I would expect the regulators might
come up with (it won't work, but at least we did something).  Unfortunately,
the regulators bow to political and public pressure to act, even when they
probably realize their actions won't solve the problem.  When such
regulations are proposed, the health physics community needs to "squeak" a
little louder.

That's my 2 cents worth on this issue.

Regards,
Mack R.

Mack L. Richard, M.S., C.H.P.
Radiation Safety Officer - IUPUI/Indiana Univ. Med. Cntr.
Phone #: (317) 274-0330   Fax #: (317) 274-2332
E-Mail Address:  mrichar@iupui.edu