testing of air-supplied suits

RADSAFErs,

A question for commercial users of air-supplied suits ("bubble suits"):

In DOE, we currently require testing of air-supplied suits, based on NIOSH
requirements, using a DOE standard testing program that is accepted by
NIOSH.  It is my understanding that while NIOSH requires the test, they do
not have their own standards for it.  Is this requirement applicable to
commercial operations such as nuclear power plants?  If so, how is it
satisfied?

Any information would be helpful, as I am just getting into this issue.
Please respond to me directly at the e-mail address below, unless you think
it would be of general interest to all.

Thanks,

Doug Minnema, PhD, CHP
Radiological Control Program Advisor for Defense Programs
National Nuclear Security Administration
(the agency formerly known as Defense Programs :-)

<Douglas.Minnema@ns.doe.gov>

what few thoughts i have are truly my own