Re: Article from 3/2 Christian Science Monitor: "Pardon me,

Regarding this response -

"60 keV gammas can be detected with Geiger-Mueller counters."

    - I use a smoke detector with an Am-241 source as one demonstration that GM detectors sometimes are not the appropriate detector to use when looking for low energy photons - then I use a NaI and we easily see the gammas.  I do the same with a simulated I-125 source (I-129, 42 keV) to show the need for NaI vs GM.

      Is this an incorrect demonstration and why doesn't my GM see these gammas ?

Thanks

Steve Hand
Radiation Safety
University of Maryland
hand@wam.umd.edu

begin:vcard
n:Hand;Steven
tel;fax:301-314-9467
tel;home:(410)-535-3762
tel;work:(301)-405-3985
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Radiation Safety Office;Department of Environmental Safety
version:2.1
email;internet:hand@wam.umd.edu
title:Health Physicist
adr;quoted-printable:;;Room 2124, Building 090=0D=0AChemical & Nuclear Engineering=0D=0ACollege Park, MD 20742;College Park;MD;20742;USA
fn:Steven Hand
end:vcard