Re: Article from 3/2 Christian Science Monitor: "Pardon me,

I talked to our group here that has some experience with these pager
detectors and they said that the ones in use by the Russians perform better
than the ones our customs service uses.  They are not terribly sensitive
and use utilize either a pressurized ion chamber or an energy-compensated
GM.  Apparently, US Customs selected theirs by taking 3 different models
and walking toward the strength source that they wanted to be able to see.
The first one to alarm was the one they chose.  Only one test was
performed.  I am picking up one of the Russian ones this afternoon to play
with for a week or so and will post my findings later.  Of course, I don't
have a lot of time to do any in depth scientific investigation with it so
if I don't see anything of value to everyone I will spare you.

| | | |__  Physics Safety Support Officer
| | \___/  Lawrence Livermore National Labs
| \___/    merritt9@llnl.gov
\___/      Voice: (925)423-9668   Fax: (925)422-7160
	   "When the only tool you have is a hammer,
	   every problem begins to resemble a nail."
	   -Abraham Maslow
http://www-phys.llnl.gov