Dr Lubin's reply concerning ecologic LNT study

Hopefully, with Melissa's advice, it will print out this time.  Thanks again
for your patience.  Bill Field

Dr. Lubin's reply concerning Dr Cohen's ecologic LNT study.

 I feel that I must comment on the exchange by Cohen and Klugh.  Dr. Cohen's
suggestion that because I made no attempt to claim his reward, I must have
accepted the adequacy of his responses to articles by me and others is
ludicrous.  It is not that I don't believe Cohen's results, but that his
results are not relevant for determining risk to individuals.  Upon
re-reading his responses to the exchange in Health Physics and on this
listserve, I can only conclude that Dr. Cohen has entirely missed the point
of my comments.  Let's try one more time.

 1.  It is clear that Cohen's ecological analysis is markedly discrepant from
the analytic studies of residential radon exposure and of radon-exposed
miners, from animal studies and from current dosimetric/biophysical models.
As I made
clear in my last letter in Health Physics, Cohen's linear-quadric model for
lung cancer mortality rates and residential radon is not supported by the
case-control studies or the miner studies.  His model in fact predicts a
strong protective effect of living in houses with concentrations under about
300 Bq/m3 - this pattern just does not occur in the analytic data.

 The relevant question then becomes -- how are we to interpret Cohen's
results in light of the findings from the analytic studies?  More
importantly, when considering whether and to what extent residential radon
increases (or in
 light of Cohen's result, decreases) the risk of lung cancer, is it even
necessary that Cohen's results should be "explained"?  The main point of my
articles, as well as articles by Greenland and Robins, Samet et al,
Piantadosi, Muirhead et al, and others, is that the answer is an emphatic no
to the latter question. These articles show that the methodology of
ecological analysis itself has such limitations that no meaningful inference
from the relationship observed at the grouped level can be made to the
dose-response relationship for individuals. Thus, Cohen's regression results
cannot serve as an evaluator of radon effects for individuals.  This is why
epidemiologists use ecological analyses only for  hypothesis generating and
not hypothesis testing.  In the real world of epidemiology, in order to have
any credence, an association observed at the ecological level must first be
demonstrated using individual-level studies. The converse is never the case.
One would never consider that results from analytic studies needed to be
"validated" by ecological analysis.  Thus, there is little point in trying to
identify any specific reason why Cohen's regression results in a negative
trend.  The methodology is intrinsically flawed.  Given diverse results from
ecological analyses and from analytic studies, analytic studies a priori have
the greater claim to validity.

What is the flaw in ecological studies?  Again, many articles have
demonstrated that the principal source of the problem is that correlations
among risk factors can occur within counties.  Moreover, the correlations of
the risk factors may vary among the counties.  Therefore, one cannot simply
define a model for the within county correlations and apply it across
counties and claim adjustment of these effects.  This is the central
rationale for the proposal by Shpard and Prentice to "correct" ecological
studies by randomly sampling populations within county in order to estimate
the joint distribution of risk factors.  Cohen's repeated assertions that the
"ecological fallacy" does not apply, does not make it so.  He cannot create
models that account for both the risk factor correlations within county and
their variations across counties.  My original paper in Health Physics shows
that the amount of correlation between radon level and another risk factor
can be small indeed, on the order of 0.05.

 2.  Cohen suggests that his analysis is not confounded because the negative
trend of lung cancer rates and county "mean" radon level is unchanged after
adjusting for hundreds of different factors.  That is not the point at all,
and indeed is irrelevant to the control of within county confounding.  One
can never adjust for factors that operate within county by endlessly adding
more and more county-level information.  His ecological analysis has no more
claim to validity if he were to add thousands of additional county-level
variables. County-level factors are not the source of the limitations.

 3.  While the confounding problem is really paramount, it is also the case
that data used in many ecological analyses are often of limited quality and
difficult to interpret.  Cohen's data are no exception.  Lung cancer
mortality from death certificates are often misspecified and covariate
information is of poor quality.  Of particular concern, Cohen uses mortality
rates where the disease-relevant exposure period is at least a decade or more
prior to available radon data.  The county "average" radon concentration may
bear little relationship to the "average" county radon concentration
prevailing 5-30 years prior to the mortality data.  The population
composition, risk factors, as well as lung cancer mortality rates, have
changed considerably in recent decades. (See for example the NCI cancer atlas
for changes in lung cancer mortality, ). This problem is exacerbated by the
further limitation that average radon level (and other risk factors) for a
county does not translate into lung cancer-relevant dose, and that the
correlations among risk factors may vary over time.

Residential radon studies in general do not suffer from the flaw that radon
measurements post­date the disease occurrence by 10-30 years.  While radon
measurements are contemporary, in residential studies, interviews provide
detailed information on residential history, so investigators know precisely
how long subjects were resident in the various houses, and on house
modifications, heating systems, etc.  In the Iowa study, enrollment in the
study required that
 the subject has lived in the current house for at least the preceding 20
years.

 4.  It must also be pointed out that not all ecological studies agree with
Cohen's results, and big does not equate with valid.  Many ecological studies
have been published; some show decreasing trend, no trend, or increasing
trend.
In an attempt to circumvent the limitation of mortality data and poor
exposure data, several investigators have used population registry files on
lung cancer cases to create lung cancer incidence rates for counties.
Analyzing these incidence rates together with county radon measurements and
other information from population-based case-control studies, investigators
have found patterns of associations that show increasing risks with radon.
None show decreasing
risks.

 This exchange has been going on for nearly a decade.  To paraphrase
Piantadosi, given results from analytic studies and ecological studies, the
former must carry the greater weight in our considerations.  Thus, it is time
to move
 on and address the many important questions that remain: what are the
consequences of exposure measurement error on risk estimates; what is a
realistic level of uncertainty on the risk associated with long-term
residence in houses in the
 range of 75-200 Bq/m3; are there specific genetic polymorphisms that define
susceptible sub-populations?

 Jay Lubin

 Jay Lubin, PhD
 National Cancer Institute