Re: Radon vs. LNT - the Chase

In a message dated 00-03-07 13:03:56 EST, Tom Mohaupt wrote:

 Just as I thought. No one has a quantitative information on what causes
 lung cancer. Since no one really knows this is my hypothesis of what I
 asked for. Any one have any better data.

Tom,

I suggest you do a medline search. There are quite a few papers out there in
the literature on this topic.  Please email me or call me directly if you
need a place to start.  The causative events for lung cancer can be grouped
into either genetic or environmental risk factors.  These risk factors change
depending on what group you are examining.  Radon is generally considered the
second leading cause of lung cancer.  However, if you are looking at a group
of asbestos workers, that risk factor may become more important.  The risk
factors also vary by sex and ethnic differences.  So as you can see, it is
difficult to give one number without saying what population that number is
generalizable to.

Please call me if you want to discuss this further.  It gets rather
complicated.

Regards, Bill Field
College of Public Health
University of Iowa